I was born in Cleburne, Texas, just south of Fort Worth. I graduated from Boswell High School in Fort Worth, Texas in 1993. I have my Bachelors degree from Tarleton State University in Stephenville and a Masters degree from Texas A & M Corpus Christi. I have a lovely wife, a handsome adult son and an adorable daughter who are my absolute pride and joy.
This will be my 17th year at RFHS, and I have the best job in the world. I LOVE school. It is an exciting place where ideas are born and explored. There is nothing better than helping young people to understand themselves and realize their gifts.
For the first three weeks of school, I will keep office hours from 10 am to 11 am, and then from 1 pm to 2 pm every school day. After that, it will be during my 7th period conference. The most reliable way to contact me is via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due dates and deadlines are important. Any student that wants full credit must turn in assignments when they are due. Ten points will be deducted for every day an assignment is late.
It is my goal to see all student reach their fullest potential and experience success in English-Language Arts class, and in life.
Art, Music, Nintendo, X-box, Synthesizers, Really Good Food, Television (I know it's bad for you), Movies, Reading, Writing, Growing my own vegetables, Theater, Geocaching, Pinball...
Books and Links
I've read more great literature than I can possibly recall. The list of books titles I can remember is about 8 times this size. Here is the short version of a list of books I would recommend, in no particular order. I am an avid reader and would be thrilled to help you find something that you will love to read.
- Angela's Ashes – Frank McCourt
- Slaughterhouse 5 – Kurt Vonnegut
- Fast Food Nation – Eric Schlosser
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
- The Essential Confucius – Thomas Cleary
- Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
- Dune – Frank Herbert
- Ender's Game – Orson Scott Card
- Planet of the Apes – Pierre Boulle
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz – L. Frank Baum
- The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Vampire, Lestat – Anne Rice
- Out of the Silent Planet - C.S. Lewis
- Night – Elie Wiesel
- The Count of Monte Cristo – Alexander Dumas
- The Autobiography of Santa Claus – Jeff Guin
- White Fang - Jack London
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea – Jules Verne
- The Jungle – Upton Sinclair
- I, Robot – Isaac Asimov
- Inferno – Dante Alighieri
- Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
- Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson
- The Rum Diaries - Hunter S. Thompson
- America:The Book - Jon Stewart
Christopher Starnes' Schedule
|8:30 AM -||10:30 AM||Period 1 English 3 - f7nlnc4|
|8:30 AM -||10:30 AM||Period 2 English 3 - tihejia|
|10:55 AM -||12:30 AM||Period 3 English 1 - 7eg5hr5|
|10:55 AM -||12:30 PM||Period 4 English 1 - bunmhtg|
|12:40 PM -||2:15 PM||Period 5 English 1 - 4xruosl|
|12:40 PM -||2:15 PM||Period 6 English 1 - zfcllhh|
|2:25 PM -||4:00 PM||7th Period - Conf.|
|2:25 PM -||4:00 PM||Period 8 Advisory - bimztzd|
School Supplies List
Something to write on
Something to write with
Bring these things and you will be fine.
My Shared Files
- Starnes 12-16 April English III Lesson.pptx (pptx)(6087 KB)
- ENGLISH I April 12 - 16.pptx (pptx)(1434 KB)
- English I April 5 - 9.pptx (pptx)(1606 KB)
- Starnes 5-9 April English III Lesson.pptx (pptx)(1883 KB)
- ENGLISH I March 29 April 1.pptx (pptx)(7275 KB)
- Starnes 29 Mar - 1 Apr English III Lesson .pptx (pptx)(2731 KB)
- Class Expectations English I 2020-21.pdf (pdf)(124 KB)
- Class Expectations English III 2020-21.pdf (pdf)(135 KB)
Q: Is your class hard?
A: It can be. Missing lots of classes, making choices that require removal from class, or refusing to participate or do the work will definitely make the class hard. My class is designed to challenge students because if we only do things that are easy, we don't learn anything. We NEED challenges in order to grow. Young people face many obstacles that make it seem difficult for them to be as successful as they would like to be. However, students who face their challenges are usually successful.